About Brian Smith, firm president of Colorado Patents
Intellectual Property Attorney and Registered Patent Attorney, Denver, Colorado
Licensed to Practice In:
U.S. District Court District of Colorado, 1990
U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 1985
U.S. District Court Western District of Pennsylvania, 1982
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1982
AV Peer Review Rating, the highest level of professional excellence.
- Duquesne University School of Law, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 1980, J.D., 1980 Class Rank – 18/105
- Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, 1975, B.S.E., Bachelor of Science in Engineering
Honors: Cum Laude
Major: Biomedical Engineering
- Colorado Bar Association, 1987 – Present Member
- Denver Bar Association, 1987 – Present Member
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, 1982 – Present Member
- Brian D. Smith P. C. d/b/a Colorado Patents, Denver, Colorado – 1993 to present.
Practice directed to all aspects of intellectual property law including patents, trademarks, computer law, trade secrets, copyrights, unfair competition, licensing and related litigation matters.
- Fields, Lewis, Rost and Smith, Denver, Colorado, intellectual property law firm, member 1986-95, partner 1993-1995.
- Aluminum Company of America, Alcoa Center, PA-1981 to 1986- Patent Attorney
Prepared and prosecuted U.S. patent and trademark applications, supervised outside associates in foreign patent prosecution and drafted non-disclosure and licensing agreements.
- Battelle Memorial Institute, Richland, WA-1980 to 1981-Staff Attorney
Obtained and evaluated invention disclosures, reviewed novelty searches, rendered patentability opinions and provided advice in other areas of intellectual property law. Also received top secret security clearance from DOE and spent significant percentage of time on government contracts, primarily those with DOE.
- Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Resources, Pittsburgh, PA- 1979 to 1980 – Intern
Research, document preparation and litigation. Tried three cases, all of which resulted in criminal convictions.
Holder of seven U.S. Patents of his own. Married with two boys. Enjoys skiing, boating and jazz. Former jazz and rock guitarist who wishes he could find time to play today.